Phillips 66 Lab Tester, Billings Refinery in Billings, Montana
Phillips 66 & YOU- Together we can fuel the future
The Laboratory Tester is responsible for analysis of product and intermediate process samples throughout the Billings Refinery, performs routine laboratory tests and responds to the results to achieve daily plan while meeting or exceeding safety, environmental, quality and performance goals.
The Laboratory Tester may be responsible for:
• Collecting samples (oil, gas and liquid samples)
• Analyzing product quality control samples and other samples according to procedure
• Performing routine and assigned testing, including verification of results
• Performing routine maintenance and standardization of equipment
• Notifying supervision of any required routine maintenance needed on assigned equipment
• Ensuring appropriate, timely communication of tests results through the appropriate work processes
• Applying appropriate QA/QC methodology to test results
• Taking personal responsibility for safety performance
• Taking personal responsibility for Lab housekeeping
• Consulting with chemists for technical guidance on testing procedures
• Identifying and communicating supply needs
• Preparing and tracking samples/containers
Responsibilities May Include
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must have completed High School Diploma or GED equivalent
• Legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent full-time basis without restrictions or sponsorship
• Must be able to successfully complete with a passing grade the Chemistry Institute Basic Chemistry examination, which is administered as part of the hiring process
• Willingness to perform/comply with the following, with or without reasonable accomodation:
o To work at rotating shift, weekends, and holidays as needed
o To work overtime
o To read technical procedures and materials
o To work near large, hot, high-speed machines
o To lift a minimum of 50 lbs
o To work around chemicals, including acids and bases
o To wear fire retardant clothing and personal protective equipment (such as steel-toe shoes, ear and eye protection.)
o To maintain your face daily so that a respirator/face mask can seal properly (some examples include being free of facial hair and/or clean shaven)
o To perform fire fighting duties if needed
o To learn computer software associated with process operations
o To work with petroleum products that are under high pressure and heat.
• Degree in Chemistry from accredited university
• One or more years direct experience working in a laboratory environment performing various test procedures.
• Knowledge of lab equipment, instrument upkeep, terminology and standard laboratory procedures.
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment
• Analytical/technical skills with a practical approach to problem solving
• Interpersonal skills
• Proficient (perform the skill with limited assistance) in Microsoft Office along with SAP and other proprietary Internet applications.
• Ability to learn and perform testing hardware routine upkeep
The Billings Refinery is located in Billings, Montana. Its facilities include crude distilling, naphtha reforming, fluid catalytic cracking, alkylation, hydrodesulfurization and delayed coking units. The refinery processes a mixture of Canadian heavy, high-sulfur crude oil delivered by pipeline, and domestic crude oil delivered by truck. With the startup of a new vacuum distillation unit in 2017, the refinery has 100 percent heavy crude processing capability. The refinery produces a high percentage of transportation fuels and petroleum coke. Finished petroleum products are distributed by pipeline, rail car and truck. Pipelines transport most of the refined products to markets in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado and Washington.
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company’s master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,300 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $58 billion of assets as of March 31, 2019. For more information, visit http://www.phillips66.com/ or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co.
To be considered
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of February 25, 2020 .
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 52289
Location: Montana - Billings
Job Field: Operations
Division : Billings Refinery
Technical Req : No